Saturday Russ and I hung out at Camp Courage for the afternoon. This is a camp for sickle cell anemia kiddos in the Kansas City area. This camp is sponsored by a place called Turning point. "Turning Point’s mission is to empower and transform the mind, body, and spirit of individuals, families, and friends living with serious or chronic physical illness. We provide innovative education services and tools that inspire people to take charge of their illness and live life to its fullest." (I took this directly from the website where you could probably learn more about sickle cell anemia if you are interested). Russ and I have been involved with this camp for several years and regretfully could not attend this year. Thankfully we were able to at least go up for the first afternoon.
I think it is so neat that this has also touched Russ's life and he is now a big advocate of Camp and Turning Point. It was so cute to see the "big boys" faces light up when they saw him. They remembered some of the card games he had taught them last year and they couldn't wait to play.
One of the biggest highlights for the "little kids" is the sandbox or AKA the sand from volleyball. They can entertain themselves for hours! Note to self: Must have sandbox when we have children.
The biggest highlight for all of the kids is SWIMMING! These kids are fish and cannot get enough of it. Some of them wore swim caps so they wouldn't get their hair wet. I think all age groups loved playing with the pool toys and squirting each other.
It is has been so neat for us to be involved with this and enjoy watching these kids get older. We hope to get more involved throughout the years. If you are ever interested in helping out, check out Turning Points website.
No comments:
Post a Comment